Let’s try this again! I thought I posted this yesterday – but it looks like it got stuck along the way. This was an unfinished project, languishing while I worked on other projects – no one needs a hat when it’s hot out! I pulled it out last week, finishing it on Friday, and lightly blocked it yesterday. I have a box of small amounts of yarn, and had pulled out a selection of fall colors to use for this; I used up about half a dozen small balls. Some were very small – but no longer having them in my stash is a win!
Thursday, February 17: I started – and finished – this hat during my couple of days off. This photo was snapped quickly, as I was loading to leave – it doesn’t show the detail on the top. Oh, well! It was a quick knit, using two strands of an unnamed acrylic found at a thrift shop by the recipient, started Tuesday evening, finished Thursday morning when all I had left to do was weave in the ends.
As I was pulling out, I saw that the first of the daffodils is starting to show color – it was so warm (60 – 70F, 15 – 21C) I’d be very surprised if it wasn’t fully open by the end of the day!
Then it was on to Solomons, Maryland, where I dropped off the hat and a few other things, and picked up the belongings I’d emptied from the Roadtrek to make more room for moving. I was too late to miss rush hour for the drive up to Baltimore, which was slower than I’d hoped, but I was able to have dinner with my aunt, show her the blue sweater I’d knit with her yarn (posted two posts ago), and deliver said sweater to my cousin.
Tomorrow I head back to Vermont, a full day of driving, and by Saturday will start the next knitting project. Stay tuned…
Actually, I finished knitting this hat last week – then I washed and blocked it, and forgot I’d left it outside to dry under the shed! I’m glad the mice and birds didn’t decide to make nests from it.
This hat used up every last bit of the dyed yarn, used to make the cowl and fingerless mitts previously (https://kayak2016blog.wordpress.com/2021/02/27/todays-completed-knitting-project/). The white was left from making the knitted gloves. I didn’t have enough of the rusty red to make the hat I wanted, with it as a lace layer over the white, so I translated the lace pattern into stranded knitting, and just followed the pattern until I ran out of the red, then knitted the top with white. I’m pleased to get one more yarn out of stash!
I’m very pleased with the design: the two color band, the solid inside with lace outside, using the same lace pattern I used for the cowl and mitts. https://kayak2016blog.wordpress.com/2021/02/27/todays-completed-knitting-project/ I was using up the remainder of the yarn I’d overdyed, and the white was from the gloves I’d made for my granddaughter in January. But I ran out. I’ll use this design another time when I want a dressy hat, and I’ve pulled out this aborted attempt and am going to try to translate the lace design into stranded knitting – I have plenty of white, and will try to use all the remaining red.
It started snowing Monday evening, and continued through the day yesterday, building up another 12 – 15 inches of white stuff. It was heavier than the last storm, and I was glad I’d aimed the car downhill! When the snow had pretty much stopped, I went down, cleared the car of snow (mostly), packed a distance down the hill, and was able to get the car nearly to the bottom. But the neighbor had plowed across the bottom of my drive, and I didn’t dare try to go over/through two feet of packed snow, so I figured I’d go home and deal with shoveling in the morning. I am so fortunate in my neighbors – another neighbor went out – after dark! – and plowed away the berm at the bottom, and shoveled out from in front of my wheels, and cleared the remaining snow off the roof of the car. When I went down this morning, with enough time to shovel if I had to, I found that all I had to do was start the car and drive out! No problem! Then it was on to deliver 320 meals for the hungry from the caterer to a place which distributes them, and then to northern Vermont and my sister to drop off stuff and do another sewing project.
Meanwhile, while posting all those wildlife photos, I finished the hat shown above for the sister of the friend for whom I made the last hat. Same colorway, same (diminishing) pile of stash. Now I’m more than half way through a pair of fingerless mitts to go with it. With luck, I’ll finish them before the weekend.
I finished the hat last week? Two weeks ago? and the fingerless mitts this past weekend. Then I had to reunite them to get a photo. These were gifted to a neighbor, and were made from stash yarn. I used up a few odds and ends, but still have enough left for several more sets!
Completed 3/8; no particular baby in mind. It went in my donations basket – and used a small amount of my stash. A size bigger would have used up the rest of that ball of fluffy.
And this morning, distracting me from my knitting, Ms. Downy Woodpecker:
I was still working on market bag number 3 on Christmas Day – but it didn’t need to be delivered until two days later, so that was OK! Here are bags numbers 2 and 3:
Somehow, my nephew has become a football fan, and living in Baltimore, had to have a Ravens purple warm hat. It also got a pompom, in purple and black – but not until after I’d taken its photo! I rarely knit in purple, it being one of my least favorite colors, so I actually had to go BUY yarn for this! Not a great photo; I failed to notice the smudges on the lens at the time. But you knitters will get the idea! Dear nephew gave me a very nice skein of sock yarn – also purple! The whole family was wondering why he was giving me purple yarn – it turns out he is hoping for a pair of purple socks to wear to keep his tootsies warm next season!